KCBS Backyard Contests FAQs
Kansas City BBQ Society (KCBS) began sanctioning Backyard events in 2016 to promote BBQ in smaller towns across the US. For more information about getting your Backyard event sanctioned by KCBS, click here and scroll down to Stand Alone Backyard Contest.
How can I dual sanction my KCBS Backyard event with the Alabama BBQ Association (ABA)? In order to be dual sanctioned with the ABA, Backyard contest organizers must follow these basic guidelines:
- Have chosen a date that doesn't conflict with another Backyard event within 100 miles.
- Have a minimum of 10 teams participating.
- Fill out an ABA Backyard Division Membership Application, then send in the completed application and pay the sanctioning fee to the ABA secretary at least 30 days prior to the event.
- Provide the ABA with an approximate number of teams competing.
- Provide the ABA with the meat categories for the contest, i.e., Chicken, Ribs, or Pork.
- If a Backyard event has at least 3 meat categories, they must submit a copy of the overall scores to the Vice President of the Backyard Division via e-mail no later than Monday following the event.
How will the ABA help me promote my Backyard event? Sanctioned Backyard contests will also be posted to the ABA website within one week of receipt of the application and contest conflict verification. To assist the ABA with promoting your event, contest organizers need to electronically submit the following documents to the ABA secretary:
- Contest application and/or link to on-line registration
- Contest Rules and Regulations
- Logo for your event (optional)
- Provide the link to your event on the KCBS website
- Provide information about the following:
- Where teams are to make checks payable
- The address for mailing in a team's registration
- The street address for the BBQ event
Who should I contact if I have additional questions about getting a Backyard contest dual sanctioned with the ABA? Contact the ABA Secretary via phone or email. Refer to the Contact page for more info.
Who should I contact about Backyard event questions? Contact the VP of the Backyard Division via phone or email. Refer to the Contact page for more info.
Who should be contacted about the scores and/or ABA Backyard standings? Contact the VP of the Backyard Division via email with scores for your contest, including the status of the Backyard standings.