Non-KCBS Backyard Contest FAQs
How can I sanction my Backyard event with the Alabama BBQ Association (ABA)? In order to be sanctioned by the ABA, non-KCBS Backyard contest organizers must follow these basic guidelines:
- Choose a date that doesn't conflict with another Backyard event that is within 100 miles.
- Have a minimum of 10 teams participating.
- Fill out an ABA Backyard Division Membership Application, then send in the completed application and pay the sanctioning fee to the ABA secretary at least 30 days prior to the event.
- Provide the ABA with an approximate number of teams competing.
- Provide the ABA with the meat categories for the contest, i.e., Chicken, Ribs, or Pork.
- Submit scores to the Vice President of the Backyard Division via e-mail no later than Monday following the event.
How will the ABA help me promote my Backyard event? Sanctioned Backyard contests will be posted to the ABA website within one week of receipt of the application and contest conflict verification. To assist the ABA with promoting your event, contest organizers need to electronically submit the following documents to the ABA secretary:
- Contest application and/or link to on-line registration
- Contest Rules and Regulations
- Logo for your event (optional)
- Provide information about the following:
- Where teams are to make checks payable
- The address for mailing in a team's registration
- The street address for the BBQ event
What will the ABA provide a sanctioned Backyard contest? Sanctioned events will be supplied adequate Judging Slips and Placemats via UPS approximately 2-weeks prior to their event. Additionally, we can provide contests an Excel spreadsheet to assist the organizer with calculating the judging results for each category and the overall scores.
Who should I contact about getting a Backyard contest sanctioned with the ABA? Contact the ABA Secretary about getting your event sanctioned.
Who should I contact about Backyard event questions? Contact the VP of the Backyard Division via phone or email. Refer to the Contact page for more info.
Who should be contacted about the scores and or ABA Backyard standings? Contact the VP of the Backyard Division via email with scores for your contest, including the status of the Backyard standings.